Pages

April 13, 2012

A Storm is Coming


Stepping outside, my dog pulling on her leash, I can tell a storm is coming.  Even if I hadn’t just read it the latest weather update, I would know.  Nature was telling me.  Field birds are clinging close to our apartment building chattering as if in a panic, deciding where to hunker down later for the coming rain.  They dart quickly to a small tree branch and chortle their warning, as if to give their opinion to the gathered masses before they dart back to the cover of the porches.  A brisk, sharp wind blows bending the trees.  A line of puffy white clouds marches forward to the south of us, like guards in some great street parade preceding a coming monarch.  The sun shines a bit too brightly as if to force us back inside for shelter.  Yes, a storm is coming.  

The sun shines a bit too brightly

Birds darting to and fro

Birds gathered in the grass

The safety of the porches



1 comment:

Sarah Siders said...

Ah yes, you too are a great writer. I like your "storm is coming" description. I can see it clearly. I'm glad we heeded the warnings of the birds. Please keep writing....and please do submit a "you know you're a mom when..." idea. You've got tons of them - I know it.