Pages

December 29, 2008

My vacation has been WONDERFUL! It has definitely been the break I was so desperately craving. The past few weeks have been filled with lots of sleeping in, baking cookies, then eating them of course, going shopping (in grand variety of "normal" stores!), watching TV, and working on puzzles with my mom. It's been so relaxing and rejuvenating! I also re-learned how to crochet and got a few squares done on my big Cathedral Windows quilt.
I've had the luxury of hot coffee and a big breakfast almost every morning, not to mention the home-cooked lunches and fabulous dinners. What a treat! We've also been to see two movies and have been out to eat as a family a couple of times in great restaurants that Fairbanks doesn't have to offer. And no Dad, I'm not talking about Whataburger.
It seems a bit strange to think that in two weeks I will be back in the deep freezer of the world again. It's down to -40 tonight, and I am quite content to be missing it! The weather here has been back and forth between the 40's and upper 70's. ABOVE zero thank you very much. I've thoroughly enjoyed chuckling at everyone who gets "cold" here. My sister borrowed my down coat to go Christmas caroling last week, and I got a kick out of that. Of course, I just chuck that one up to my great taste in coats! Haha.
I have come to realize though, that I made the right decision by staying in Fairbanks during the duration of Brian's deployment. While I have LOVED this vacation, I have been going and doing my own thing so much, that I'm not as available to my husband as I am when I am at home. I'm distracted by all the things I have available to entertain my attention, and I don't have all the resources available to me to support him like I have been doing from home. I'm also more independent, and more of an "adult" when I'm at home... and it would have been so hard for me to transition back into my role as a wife and partner when he got home if I had moved down here. If my parents had a room where I could set myself up and be more independent, have my space and do my own thing... that might be different. But right now, this time around, for me... it was the right decision to stay. And I'm glad to know that this early on into things. It also helps me in thinking about heading home. I know I'm doing the right thing, and I am looking forward to slipping back into my routine. I have a few events coming up to look forward to. I have a few new items for my house to arrange. But mostly I have a fresh perspective which is what I needed the most. :-) Besides the rest of course! And I can't wait to see my sweet puppy!

2 comments:

Angie said...

I am so glad you had some family time. I always love coming home (though not always being home...)

Oh, and I love the new look of your blog:)

Blu Grey said...

Like the facelift your blog got. Want to come have coffee? Miss you friend!