Pages

February 21, 2009

Kindnesses and Unteachable Hearts

Kindness

I was ready to take off for work one day this week when I discovered the snow plows were working on our neighborhood streets. My "discovery" came in the form of pulling up to the edge of our street and realizing there would be NO pulling out onto the road because a giant pile of snow and ice loomed directly in front of me, blocking my path.
My heart sank as the plow moved further and further out of sight down the road. Thankfully, a few seconds later, a second plow pulled up and realized my plight. He stopped and cleared me enough room to get through to the cleared side of the street so I could leave for work. I waved a very grateful thank you, and headed off. A little act of kindness can go a long way sometimes. I was so thankful for that plowman.

Unteachable hearts

Not five minutes later, I was at a stop light waiting for my green light. I watched as to either side, cars began to slow and stop, and one sedan unable to control his car on the ice, slid through the red light trying to brake with no success. My mind began to cycle through all the things he could have done to prevent this. He was probably going to fast to begin with, etc. I was just grateful that no one was already in the intersection and that no collisions had happened.
Then, to my dismay, the two cars in front of me spun their tires, and barreled off down the road at 65+mph as if NOTHING had just happened. HELLO!? Didn't you just see what I saw? The only thing I could think of is what unteachable hearts they must have. And how important it is to HAVE teachable hearts.
We need to take note from the world around us. Take cues from the danger signs that are so often right in front of us, and guard ourselves. It doesn't mean we stay home, and stay off the "ice" entirely. But it means we take precautions and we learn from what we see.
Anyway, I was just frustrated by the remarkable stupidity of not one, but two drivers who could watch someone dangerously slide through a red light, and then barrel through the same intersection at high speeds. Really, really dumb on their part. I just hope no one had to pay the consequences later.

No comments: