Pages

January 23, 2010

I Fixed It!

I did it! I fixed my sewing machine issue! :-)

I called the dealer today and was told that I was welcome to drop it off, but that it would be a week before anyone could look at it. I promptly asked if they had any loaners (thanks for the tips guys!), and was told there weren't any available. From the tone of her voice I interpreted this to mean "we don't give out our lovely newer machines for free". Ugh.

With two projects midway to being finished, I was not really willing to let my machine just sit over there for a week plus whatever repair time was needed. So, I did a bit more research, pulled out my manual again, and started trying things. Dangerous I know, but I felt desperate!

I pulled off everything that I logically could. Presser foot, bobbin case, plate, etc. and gave that baby a second thorough dusting. I then proceeded to try re-inserting the needle, making sure my plate was perfectly flat, searching for fugitive thread clippings, tightening a few screws, etc. Still sewing in a curve.

Then... I found the little screw to adjust my bobbin tension. Why not? Tighter was no help. Looser... and VOILA! A perfect straight seam, and an improved stitch length to boot! I'm not sure how it got too tight to begin with, since I have NEVER touched that screw before. But I can't tell you how relieved I am to not have to waste any of the short weeks I have left by just waiting to keep going on Amelia's room.

So cup of home-made Vanilla Nut Mocha in hand, I am off for more hours of sewing pleasure.

No comments: